Author Topic: 3D RPG with scripts in 3D RAD possible?  (Read 11070 times)

Argandos

3D RPG with scripts in 3D RAD possible?
« on: October 16, 2016, 06:36:16 PM »
Hi,
is it possible to create RPG's in 3D Rad with the scripting language of it? I really like 3D RAD and now darthhawk has posted the scripting reference. Would be really nice to know whether 3D RAD can handle this.
What i want to do is an rpg with inventory's, a stat destributionsystem, a levelsystem and of course a battle system using my own object's from blender and other sculpting applications.
Is this possible when i learned the scripting language? Thanks in Advance ;)
Greetings
Argandos (Alex)

darthhawk

Re: 3D RPG with scripts in 3D RAD possible?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 02:56:22 AM »
I believe it is possible. 3D Rad's scripting language  is Angel Script  http://www.angelcode.com/angelscript/.
On the forums before the official 3D Rad website went offline someone posted a topic showing a single script they had written with their own classes (object oriented programming). The game was a simulation of our solar system and worked flawlessly. It was coded like any c++ console program would have been.

Another thing about the scripting language in 3D RAD is it uses "IN" and "OUT" for attached objects and scripts. It may be confusing at first as no other engine does this. But using 3D Rad's scripting language people have created infinite and varied terrain and water scripts.  Example show cases of 3DRAD infinite terrain below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l42hjLLy8hI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f20A9Gbpao8

Here is a small sample script that shows what I'm talking about with the "OUT" keyword.

"...Anyways, what this script does is, if compiled, will read the resolution the game is playing in, while in maximized mode only. If you are in minimized mode or using the script in the editor, it will simply return the resolution of your screen." (a post from NickDH on the old 3DRAD forums)

void Main()
{
   int IDH = iDisplayHeight();
   int IDW = iDisplayWidth();
   if((IDH>1) && (IDW>2));
      {
         OUT_22 = IDW; //OUT_22 is the displayed value of a valueprint
         OUT_0 = IDH; //OUT_0 is the displayed value of a valueprint
      }
}

When the object is attached to the script 3DRAD assigns a OUTPUT and INPUT number on it's own and you use that in script to send and/or get information back and forth between the script and the 3D object. 3D Rad can also be used to create many instances of an object and in 3D RAD these are called "impostors." There should be example projects in the default 3D RAD installation you can look at to help understand scripting.

I believe what you want to do can be done but just know it will be coded differently than it would be in Unity which uses C# even though both 3D Rad scripts and Unity use a similar syntax.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 03:58:24 AM by darthhawk »

cocacola20

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 08:17:31 PM »
I guarantee because I've been a member of the Rad community since 2011, I've learned quite a few things, which I'm saying I know about rigging, scripting, mesh animation, textures, and even assembling, my skills with this program grew. I'm sure if a remake of Minecraft (my current project which o do not have legal rights to distribute online or anywhere else) and making a big project relating to Grand Theft Auto, guns, explosions, driving, etc. I'm sure as guns an RPG is definitely possible with this. Putting too much can just crash the program, but make sure your computer is also good, because some of it depends on that.

Argandos

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 12:24:03 AM »
Hi darthhawk and cocacola20  ;)
That makes 3D RAD really interesting. I will use 3D RAD now very often when i get something done. For an open world rpg, the 3D RAD community had a level of detail project, right?
Anyway, it will be really nice to learn 3D RAD with the knowledge you gave me, thanks :)